Wednesday 13 May 2020

Off The Edge Christmas

Hello Crafty Friends!

Today I'm sharing a couple of projects made for May's Christmas In The Air feature over at STAMPlorations. In this special feature Nancy and I are sharing a couple of Christmas projects each.


This month I thought I'd expand a bit on what I did for last week's Spotlight Project here on the STAMPlorations Blog. I used the 'off the edge' technique on tent fold rather than side fold cards.

My first card features the Kathryn And Christmas set with a little more complex off the edge cutting. Here it is ...


Whilst I am always saying it is best to use a stamp one can easily cut around, I couldn't resist turning this cutie into one of today's cards, fuzzy cutting or not.

When I was positioning and stamping my images, I already had in mind how I might be able to cut around them without having too many loose ends going off the edge. I like to have a certain stability given that I find it easier to use a lighter weight card for fuzzy cutting.


I used the lines on my cutting mat to align my card and ruler before cutting with my craft knife through both layers of my card as shown. I then opened my card up and cut a straight edge off the backing layer using the already cut bit as a guide.


Next I trimmed around my image ...


... before colouring with my metallic pencils and adding the stamped stars to finish.



Next up is a much simpler card using Three Kings ...


Cutting around the kings was certainly easier than on my first card. I simply coloured them with my little eye shadow applicator brushes and inks.


Once the finished card was standing up, it really looked as if the kings were walking off it to come and join me in my craft space.



Pop over to the STAMPlorations Blog to check out the lovely projects my teamie Nancy made. The Christmas In The Air feature also doubles up as a mini blog hop. Shery will randomly draw one winner of a $15 gift code from all the comments left on the Christmas In The Air posts on the STAMPlorations Blog, on Nancy's blog and on my blog.

Hopefully Nancy and I have inspired you to add to your 2020 Christmas stash.
Wishing you lots of fun hopping along.
hugs
Monika xxx


here is what I used from the STAMPlorations Shop

Kathryn And Christmas
preview-KathrynandChristmas

Three Kings
preview-ThreeKings

19 comments:

  1. Pretty cards! I love the images you used and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this type of card; I love this technique. And love both of your beautiful cards, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the tilted and cutout looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool idea! Love both cards and your coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet little girl and I like the colorful Wise Men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 💙💙 These are my favorite cards (right now) and have not seen this technique done. Im definitely gonna give it a try! Love the colors, we decorate our house in blue so points for this being my favorite to copy! Thanks and stay safe and crafty! 💙💙

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the fussy cut technique you've used for these cards. tfs-stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow..Love both your cards, Monika. I must try your off the edge technique. TFS your photos and tips. It has been so much fun playing Christmas in the Air with you, my dear friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cut outs
    on these cards,
    fabulous idea.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a super cool effect-great cards!
    I don’t know how you cut around
    the image on the first card. I don’t
    trust myself with a craft knife enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, I used my scissors to trim around the image. Craft knife and ruler were only used for the straight lines.

      Delete
  11. Two more fabulous cards using this technique! I really like the one you shared earlier, too. It's a fun way to add interest to a simple card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made some beautiful Christmas cards! I like making them all year too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's some amaaaaaaaazing fussy cutting! Beautiful effect against the dark background.
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea and lovely cards :) thx for inspiration

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. Your comments are very much appreciated. Have a lovely day! Hugs XXX